Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Integration for Impact Conference (Sept 15, 2012)


There is so much going on in global health research! I won’t get into all the details of what I learned at the conference in Nairobi this week. In general, it was about the growing effort to integrate reproductive health and HIV services, providing multiple services to patients at one place, at one visit. The project that I’m working on is doing this – we are trying to integrate cervical cancer screening services and HIV care. The number of projects trying to evaluate and then expand this idea of integrated services is really impressive and inspiring. Coming together with people from all over Africa (and the world) who are doing a range of work on this topic was so cool! I felt like I could become (and I suppose I already am becoming) a part of this global health community. I’m sure I’m idealizing it to a certain extent, but the intelligence, energy, and true compassion that I saw in the people who I listened to got me totally jazzed for jumping into my work in western Kenya!  I can’t wait!

No comments: