Sunday, September 30, 2012

Safari Village


Sept 29, 2012

Determined to create a social life outside of work (although I enjoy that social life as well), and interested in discovering the tiny ex-pat community in Mbita, I ventured out to Safari Village today and found beautiful little get-away and a few lovely wazungu’s (white people) who live in the area. Sigh.

I enjoy having Kenyan friends – that is why I came out here after all – but I also know from my time in Tanzania, that it can be quite nice to have a few wazungu friends. I understand why immigrants from a particular place tend to find each other, creating their own this social spider web, which may be more or less integrated into the surrounding community. There are just certain things that we have in common, that makes the conversation a little easier, that makes for a fun travelling buddy, that validates the thoughts you struggle with but have difficulty expressing in a cross-cultural situation.

Don’t get me wrong, I think that struggling through those conversations and developing those cross-cultural relationships is important, but sometimes you just need mapumziko (a break) and someone who gets you. So I’m glad I found a little place that I can go when I need that little break.


1 comment:

Brandi Gunn said...

Hey, well-put. Can you take pictures of your ex-pat buddies? I am imagining a lot of painters :).
xoxo