Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Sunday Morning Fishing Trip

As our boat speeds towards Bird Island,
Leaving behind a fluorescent green spray,
The sun peaks out over the mainland,
Heralding a bright new day.

I wanna catch me a big Nile Perch!
"Throw the lines in the water!" I let out a cry,
China teacups clang with the boat’s sudden lurch,
Reminding us it’s time for our good morning chai.
We cruise ‘round Bird Island to get a good look
Of cormorants perched on a scraggly tree,
Conjuring memories of The Jungle Book
With the vultures, Shere Khan, and Mowgli.

A brief exchange with some omena* fishermen:
“How much for one of the girls?” they shout.
“Just give us some fish and we’ll call it even.”
“Wait! What? No deal! I’m out!”

We’ll catch our own fish with some moss on a hook.
Edwin dives down to find us a fish.
Placing the hook in the hole is all that it took
To snag us a fresh Tilapia dish.

Let’s all jump in for a swim around Takawiri!
But beware the bilharzia, crocs, and hippos!
Of these dangers you better be leary,
Lest you find yourself eaten the minute you doze.

Then back to the Lighthouse we speed
With the wind in our hair.
Captain Craig, take the lead!
Steer us home as fast as you dare.

*omena: a small fish, about an inch long, that is caught in nets put out at night by fishermen on Lake Victoria





4 comments:

Brandi Gunn said...

Joelle! I hope this works - I left a super long comment on an earlier post that Google erased :(. This is fantastic. I love the images of you fishing - written and visual.

XOXO

Brandi Gunn said...

Annnnnd...I'd like to mention that the scene behind you in the fish picture is basically an exact replica of a Winslow Homer painting. Amazing!

gradydoctor said...

Way awesome. I love the poetry!!!

Joelle said...

Thanks guys! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!