Thursday, November 1, 2012

Buying a Car in Kenya: Part 1


Where do I start? I don’t know. Let’s ask. Hey, do you have any idea how to buy a car in Kenya? Sure, I know a guy… you should talk to “insert name here, almost always James or John”. Thus began my search for a lil’ four-wheel drive to carry me across the rough dirt roads of Suba.

The first question is of course: Do you really need a car?

The answer: Yes. Yes. Yes.

The explanation: I live in a place called Suba which is a pretty remote area (three hours of bus, then 1 hour by ferry from the nearest city, Kisumu). The roads are almost all sprawling rugged dirt roads. I think there are only about six cars in this place and about 100 motorcycles (I exaggerate, but only slightly). My work sites are spread out all over this area, several are about a 3-hour drive away. But the 3-hour drive isn’t so bad. What is challenging is that those three hours take 8-hours. The project vehicles have their routes each day and whoever needs to stop on that route jumps aboard. Which means that we have to stop and wait all along the way for everyone to finish their business - things like dropping off and picking up labs & medicines, training staff, etc. So I leave my house at 7am and get to my site for the day somewhere between 11am and 3pm. I get somewhere between 30 min to two hours at the site (usually after all the women have left), then head back (stopping again), and reach home around 7pm. Twelve hours of transport for 30min-2hrs of work at the site. Hmmmm. I’m pretty understanding about waiting in Africa. That’s just part of working here. But there are limits to my waiting abilities. So the choice arises: to buy a car or a motorcycle? At first, I figured I’d just learn how to ride a motorcycle, put another team member on the back, and head off to our rural clinics. Then I thought a little bit longer about potential consequences of riding a motorcycle over bad roads, 6 hours a day, for 7 months. Hmmmm. I’m pretty adventurous, but again I have my limits and I’ve seen the results of motorcycle accidents – not nice. Thus I am left with the option of purchasing a car.

The next questions are: What do you want and what is your budget?

The answer: I want something that will not leave me stranded in the middle of the bush and will not break the bank.

The realization: It’s difficult to find both. See, cars here tend to be about twice as expensive as cars in the U.S. because of importation taxes (literally doubling the price of the car!). My initial budget literally doubled after I spend several days looking at cars in my budget range… all of which looked like they would either die suddenly in a burst of exhaust and duct tape or slow to a crawl and simply refuse to move another inch.

So how do you buy a car in Africa? Well, I think I should start by asking, “How do you buy a car anywhere?” I literally have no idea what I’m doing. I’ve never bought a car anywhere… in the U.S., in Africa, on Mars. And I know nothing – read NOTHING – about cars. I wonder how much I can fake this one…

Fortunately, I was linked up with a great Kenyan mechanic who knew how to find, insure, register, fix, etc a car. And then I turned to my two favorite resources: my dad and the internet. Between the two, I figured out a few of the things I’m supposed to look at and looked at them in earnest!

You should see the looks on these care salesmen’s faces when this little white girl plops on the dirt to look under the car, opens up the hood and questions the repairs (it’s hard to miss green metallic slime seeping out of a radiator or duct take holding EVERY WIRE together). I can’t tell you much, but I can rate the tire tred, feel the lack of any shocks, guess that the suspension is off, and get worried that an engine is going to die going up a hill. I can now tell you something about the engine based on the color smoke spitting from the exhaust (granted it’s about a two word diagnosis for each color, parroting what my father told me to look for over the phone), and can tell you three different ways to raise the car a couple inches to get better ground clearance. Probably just enough to throw a bit of vocabulary around and look like I know nothing about what I’m talking about to anyone who knows anything about cars. But I’m as proud as can be.

And I found a car. A 2002 Toyota Rav4 with 4WD that I’m praying will get me to and from the bush for the next several months. His name is Mbuzi. So I’ve been telling my friends back in Suba “Nilienda Nairobi kununua Mbuzi” (“I went to Nairobi to buy a goat”) which baffles them all. He’s my sleek, sliver, little goat.

Let the driving adventures begin!

No comments: